Search This Blog

Tuesday 3 September 2013

Beverley Minster, East Yorkshire.

Plein air ( 3 visits ! ) 16 x 20" Oil on canvas
Well this represented a little challenge.
This is a lovely view of the Minster towers from the north west with the backs of houses in Minster Moorgate. I had to return to the site twice to get to this stage spending about an hour and a half each time. The weather is getting autumnal yet the sun can be hot when it shines. The picture is rather loose, not as detailed as my pen and ink sketches or indeed, my watercolours of the the Minster, so I hope you appreciate the effort. Overhead, high in the sky, swifts were flying, their last few days here before heading south. I was fortunate to teach at Beverley Grammar School for nearly 30 years and the Minster is the " school church ". As a school, we have attended many services at the Minster and on each occasion it leaves a lasting impression. Hope you like it.
H A P P Y  P A I N T I N G

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent work sir! Shame you left, technology lessons have never been the same :(

John Geekie said...

Many thanks for that very kind comment, it is much appreciated. I miss all of my students and wish you all success for the future.

Unknown said...

Ah, yes - it certainly does look like summer is over. I've seen skies like that often when I've visited the UK - usually clears up quickly though. Love this newest painting of the Minster, and the moody sky above. Very dramatic.

Unknown said...

Commented on this yesterday, but it doesn't show up here....
What I think I said was how much I like the view and the feeling of colder weather about to arrive. Looked up Beverly Minster on the internet - it was built about 1300 years ago! Wow. Really beautiful depiction, John.

John Geekie said...

Hi Susan, my old school, Beverley Grammar was originally formed at the same time, being linked to the Minster. In fact it is the oldest school in the UK. Thanks again for the comments I am exploring frame making at the moment !!